Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Quick Fix- Dining Room Chairs

My quick fix tip of the week... is FUN with SHOWER CURTAINS! WHO_HOO!! Seriously though, I had company coming over and needed a quick fix for my dining room chairs. As you know- I have FOUR little kiddies running around the house and since they are all under 8 years old, there's a lot of oopsies and extra spillage during meal-times. Sometimes with a 3 year old there's out-right food tossing... C'mon- you know what I mean! These dining room chairs had really looked like they'd been worked over by the lunchroom mafia! Originally, when we first bought our dining room set they had been an impractical off-white, but my hubby re-upholstered them a couple of years back. Even though we had chosen a dark colored fabric, you could still see spill-marks, and it was evident I had attempted to clean them MANY times but the stains were still there. It was too embarrassing! I needed a quick fix- something I could do to dress them up quickly, and inexpensively, so that I wouldn't break the bank fixing all the chairs. Well, I happened to be in the Bath section at a local store- and I was in the clearance section when I spied them- fabric SHOWER CURTAINS! Hmm... they're fabric... and they are meant to be used in the bathroom- so they are water resistant... and they are a lovely chocolate color, which would be more forgiving for spills. They also measure 72" by 72" so there was plenty of material to cover 4 chairs... so far. I think I'll have enough for all six! Since they were on sale- it was a total steal at $15 bucks! Look out Design on a Dime- here I come! My friends LOVE it- they couldn't believe it was a shower curtain- and the girls were like, 'OOOOOOH PRETTY!' Overall, it was a successful fix. I am planning to scotch guard them. Now we're in the durability testing phase :)

No comments: