Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Word About the VP Hopefuls...

Hey Folks-

I don't usually like to post about political jibber jabber in my blogging life, but I found this article on MSN Money regarding the VP candidates' finances, actually it's pretty interesting. In light of tonight's much anticipated debates, I thought I'd give you some brain food to get you in the mood... How many of you Oak Ridgers are planning to watch the Palin-Biden debate tonight? If I can get the kiddies settled, I think I am definitely going to tune in to the excitement.

I have to admit, this is really the first time that I am amazingly stoked about the presidential elections. It is so amazing to be living in a moment in time where minorities are actually being seriously considered and may have a real chance at achieving the greatest and most respected positions in public office!

I know that I might get a lot of guff from my friends and relatives on saying so, but I really admire Governor Palin. I am coming from the perspective of being blessed to be a mother of three beautiful little girls, my youngest having some special needs, and even though I may not agree with everything Palin has to say politically, I can point to this woman and tell my daughters the following:

1. Hey, look- you can have your cake and eat it too!
2. You can be beautiful, have a large family, and still have a successful career
3. Everybody has family issues [who among us doesn't], deal with them as best you can as a family and everything will work itself out.
4. All children, including those with special needs are precious gifts, and present us with challenges that not only make us better parents, but also better human beings.
5. You don't have to be a follower, you don't have to be a crowd pleaser, please just be your own person.
6. There are no prescribed paths to leading a successful life, just the basics- know your values and stick to your goals... and your guns!

Whichever candidates are privileged to have your vote- always remember what a wonderful and exciting time it is to be a voter!

No comments: