Thursday, October 23, 2008

In the Beginning, There Was A Pumpkin...





















Did my husband out-do himself this year or what? I told you we take Halloween seriously in this household! In this line up you can see a dragon, Pinhead from Hellraiser, and Jack Skellington! He usually does one pumpkin for each member of the family... the kids really like picking out the pictures they want him to do. I believe the dragon came from one of those pumpkin carving kits you can buy at Target that comes with all the little tools. The patterns for Pinhead and Jack Skellington were found on The Pumpkin Wizard although my husband adapted them to suit his own pumpkin carving strategy.

This one is really this year's masterpiece... For all of you Hayao Miyazaki fans, this one's for you! It's from My Neighbor Totoro and this is our all-time favorite so far! My husband actually drew this by hand looking at a scene from the movie and adapting it to create his own pattern. Isn't it adorable! If you haven't seen a Miyazaki movie, you should really be bonked on the head. No, really, all of his movies are absolutely wonderful, stunning illustrations, great story lines, your kids will LOVE these movies! Although I recommend his movies, be aware that not all of his movies are appropriate for all age groups. Even though these are animated features, some of the movies have content that is not appropriate for young viewers. This is especially true for one called Graveyard of the Fireflies... it deals with really sad subject matter, and after watching this my hubby and I were glum for days. Make sure to screen it, or ask someone before you show it to the kiddies! I recommend Totoro and Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service would be a fun one for Halloween, but Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite.

Here's A Little Reminder- PumpkinFest 2008 is going on this Saturday at Grove Center from 11am-5pm. Here is info. from their Facebook page.

No comments: